Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Unassisted Home Births (Yes, I eventually get to my point)

DH and I were watching this show on Discovery Health the other night (Sunday I want to say) about Home Birthing. Wait, I should rephrase that. It was about unassisted Home Birthing.

Now, I am one of those people that say time and time again... "There is a reason it's called modern medicine." I am one of those people that look at other women and say, "Why?" and "What if..."

But at the end of the day it's all about you, and what you feel comfortable in doing. I think that in this day and age, prenatal care is a must, which is why I usually have very little need for women who do want to have an unassisted Home Birth. The majority of these women do not receive prenatal care.

Don't get me wrong. I adore my OB. He treats me like I am the only pregnant woman in the world, and I couldn't ask for better care. It wasn't like that when I delivered Butter... he is 8. In hindsight, that was a horrible birth experience. Very medicated. Very surgical. Very cold.

A quick recap: I was GBS positive, and my water had broke. I was having no contractions. The L&D nurse wanted to send me home. She kept telling me that I had urinated on myself. The Chef had to get angry, and yell at her to check to make sure that my water didn't break. She finally did do the strip test. My water did break. They started me on the pit drip and anti-boditics. 12 hours later, I had a 4th degree episiodimy, that I still have issues with to this day. The doctor that delivered him even told me that I didn't need it. She looked at The Chef and was concerned by the size of his shoulders. Being a FTM at the time, I exercised that pern. muscle like crazy too. And with that being my first birth, I didn't know any better.

Maybe because I am older... or I have done this a few more times... or I know the horror stories... or I know that babies can be born in distress. Maybe it's because all of my babes have been born with cords around their necks and needed oxygen... the list goes on... I just can not see why anyone would want to subject themselves to the what ifs. The bad part of what ifs.

Like I mentioned before... I am all for making the right decision for you and your family. I am all for wanting to be comfortable when you actually give birth. But expect the looks and/or the comments from mothers like me. Mothers that have been there. Mothers that wonder how you can put not only yourself but the life of your baby at risk.

The do call it modern medicine for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment